Benefits and Drawbacks of Sublingual Immunotherapy
- Sublingual immunotherapy has been shown in multiple studies to be effective in treating allergic rhinitis in both adults and children. Other countries have been using this therapy to treat allergic rhinitis for many years.
- Sublingual immunotherapy has been shown to be helpful in asthma and in preventing the development of new sensitivities to allergens.
- Sublingual immunotherapy is very safe. If a reaction occurs, it is usually very mild.
- Sublingual immunotherapy does not involve the use of needles.
- Sublingual immunotherapy allows for administration to be performed at home, so frequent, time-consuming clinic visits are not required.
- It takes approximately 3-6 months to experience benefits.
- Insurance companies generally do not cover sublingual immunotherapy.