REACTIONS TO SUBLINGUAL IMMUNOTHERAPY

Sublingual immunotherapy is a very safe allergy treatment for both adults and children.  Numerous published scientific studies have confirmed sublingual immunotherapy is both safe and effective for the treatment of allergic rhinitis and asthma caused by allergies to dust mites, grass, ragweed, cat dander and tree pollens.  Evidence is emerging that sublingual therapy may be effective for treating red, itchy eyes caused by pollen during hay fever season.  Additionally, it has shown signs of being an effective therapy for children with mild atopic dermatitis (eczema) and is currently being studied for its potential in treating food allergies.

The safety of sublingual immunotherapy is well documented, and serious reactions are very rare.  Mild reactions, such as an itchy mouth, occur in the majority of people and tend to resolve over time.  The following is a review of reactions:

  •  There is a small chance of having an anaphylaxis reaction, but reactions are usually mild with sublingual immunotherapy.  All sublingual immunotherapy patients are prescribed an Epi-Pen in case of an anaphylaxis reaction.
  • At the present time, there have been no fatalities reported from sublingual immunotherapy treatment.
  • Patients may have swelling of the tongue or lips. If this occurs, an over-the-counter antihistamine usually resolves this reaction.
  • Itching of the mouth may occur temporarily.
  • Mild gastrointestinal discomfort may occur.

If you experience mild reactions to sublingual immunotherapy, an antihistamine, such as Benadryl, may be taken.  If symptoms worsen, call 911.